

# Medical Undergraduate Society

## Council Meeting minutes -March 4th 2019; 7:00 PM

Date	MSAC	IMP	NMP	SMP	Call-In # 1-844-521-0666
Mar 4 2018	VC Room	RJH 246 MSB 107 VGH 1908	UHNBC 5011 NHSC 9-374	KGH 228 RHS 227	30215

### Preparation

Review Robert's Rules [here](#).

Add/update/verify your contact information [here](#).

### Minutes

Present: Maichael Thejoe, Jennifer Ling, Helen Crofts, Maya Rosenkrantz, Tony Chae, Stephen MccCarthy, Monica Hsieh, Isaac Rodin, Zach Sagorin

Dr. David Harwick (Faculty Advisor)

VC: John Liu, Billy Zhao, Jenn Erwin, Chantall C., Jessica Wang, Rosie M, Kala Draney, Reem

Call-In: Jessica Wang

Regrets:

title	proposer	time
<b>Approval of Agenda</b>	Mover: Tony Second: Maya In favour: All	7:04
<b>Approval of Previous Minutes</b> <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/16bS7CPWrR4ZxrP07BMb5ieNEXf8ZAe--QuqkPy8tbX0/edit">https://docs.google.com/document/d/16bS7CPWrR4ZxrP07BMb5ieNEXf8ZAe--QuqkPy8tbX0/edit</a>	Mover: Maichael Second: Helen	7:04

	In favour: All	
<p><b>Remarks from the Chair</b></p> <p>Lobby Day The lobby day was quite successful and we will get a full update from PAC. We met to talk with the Health minister about the unmatched CMGs. We reached out to global news (interviewed John, Privia) and Vancouver Sun (interviewed Devon). #nodocsleftbehind (spread the news to fellow medical students).</p> <p>Research Surveys There is a system of how things are vetted in terms of surveys. The Research Access Committee is where people have to go through to disseminate surveys. All requests should go through them with consultation from medical students who sit on MUS. (e.g. VP Sponsorship, VP Communications). Let me know if you have thoughts offline.</p> <p>Steven: Are you able to tailor the surveys to specific student populations?</p> <p>John: These surveys are created from external organizations for medical students. We just wanted to streamline who is sending these surveys to the students.</p>	John Liu (President)	7:05
<p><b>Awards Confirmation</b></p> <p>WINNERS MUS Teaching Excellence 2019 - Dr. Mike Nimmo (tentative) MUS Teaching Excellence 2020 - Dr. Majid Doroudi (tentative) MUS Teaching Excellence 2021 - Dr. Tracey Pressey (tentative) MUS Teaching Excellence 2022 - Dr. Claudia Krebs (tentative) (Voting closes tomorrow) MUS Dr. Hardwick - Dr Kathryn Darras MUS Dr. Webber - Dr. Aida Sadr MUS Club of the Year - WIN (Wellness Initiative Network) MAA Year 1/2 Nominees - Tony Chae, Peter Baumeister, Alec Yu</p>	Isaac Rodin (VP Communications Sr.)	7:07

MAA Year 3/4 Nominees - Michael Rizzuto, Michael Thejoe, Eric Zhao

**Attendance Policy - Recruitment for Working Group**

What I want: get an input for how to recruit students for working group related to the attendance policy

Background: Across UBC there has been an issue in decline of attendance to lectures, specifically related to 2021 there has been a steady decline since 2021 and even small group sessions. Has led to faculty reaching out to class council with significant concerns; particularly faculty being frustrated, disheartened, and some faculty members no longer teaching with UBC.

2 months ago faculty sent out e-mails asking for reasons why some students are coming to class and looking how to change the mindset of students so they do come to class and respect lecturers time. One of the things we want to acknowledge is the frustration from the faculty regarding attendance. The mindset and goals of students has not necessarily changed. What has changed is the amount of external resources that are available to us that are good and the decline in matching rates. There is also literature around lectures not being the most efficient learning method.

When we presented this to the faculty, they were quite receptive to this. They are trying to explore how they can adapt and support us. Alec and I did write an apology letter to the faculty regarding lack of attendance. The faculty wants to create a working group with the students to explore solutions for this.

Impacts all four years at all four sites and has future impact on programmatic delivery of UBC Medicine. How should we appropriately select students to sit on this working group across all four years at all four sites. Faculty wants recruitment to occur in the next 1-2 weeks.

What is the process to appoint or select students to sit on the committee?

Tony Chae  
(Year II Class President)

7:10

Stephen: MEC - Medical Education Committee - streamline student recruitment to committees.

Isaac: They only meet twice a year and we missed fall and winter intake.

Stephen: MEC is a subcommittee of MUS so if there is an urgent need, I can reach out to them.

Zach: I think that when establishing a working group, one of the hard parts is that the people that you most want engaged are the kind of people that are not interested in filling out the survey. Trying to bridge that challenge is an important part of this process.

Maya: Our usual recruitment ways are the med all and facebook groups. We can make posts that are geared to those people that check the facebook group but does not show up to class. Happy to help with that.

John: I want to bring up the MEC subcommittee because that is usually how we recruit people. They help recruit our representatives. It might help to have an idea what the goal of the working group is. It might help to get a mix of perspectives of people that go to class and people that do not. We should reflect on this before deciding who is recruited.

Jessica: Not clear what the solution for this means - is it a way for faculty to engage students and make them come to lecture or is it a solution to alter medical education as it currently stands?

Tony: I definitely agree that we need to figure out the solution for this working group. The faculty seems to be receptive to the idea of how medical education is being delivered. We want to move away from how do we increase attendance rather how can we adapt the learning environment to facilitate better learning.

Jessica: First objective (understand why lectures are not working) may affect second one (ie. lectures should still the norm). Would faculty be completely be open to removing afternoon lectures or are they wanting to just address the problem of attendance now?

Maichael: I support MEC doing this but I think we should do what will be fastest (ie. if not show up its gone). Definitely involve students from the sites. Primary reasons (lecture themselves) and secondary (scheduling, family practice). Suggest involving E learning access group. Why don't we have a mandatory attendance policy (ie. an ENFORCED one)

Tony: There is a mandatory attendance policy for all small groups, lectures and labs but it is not enforced.

Maya: It is enforced in third year.

Helen: I want to stress the importance of having 3rd and 4th years in the working group. It may be hard for them to attend but it may work by respecting people's schedules.

Stephen: Having 200 students in the lecture hall makes enforcing almost impossible. At UofT, they have a e-reader.

Tony: Dr. Mason wants a good representative for all 4 years for all 4 sites. I do agree that lectures are not the best way to learn, but I do not want to go into this by pinpointing lectures as being the only cause for lack of attendance. We should look at supporting students with different resources. We should keep a broad differential for what is the root cause for the lack of attendance.

Rosie: Are we taking into consideration people who aren't coming to lecture but then watching them later? Because that is an alternative way of attending (ie. pause then take notes)

Jess: May be issue for how lectures and structured back to back for hour

Tony: They are aware because they can view who viewed the lecture recordings and this will be translated to lecturers (ie. people get value from you)

**Update on UBC Vancouver Sun article on Mistreatment and Sexual harassment**

I want to make a quick update regarding the article. A lot of you may be aware that UBC was on the news around 2 weeks ago. Rates of mistreatment and sexual harassment are higher at UBC medical school compared to the rest of Canada. This was a leaked internal document. When this happened, Roger Wong emailed me - they are concerned. John met with Dr. Holmes (UGME Dean) and has made it her own project to tackle this issue. She has created a workforce that specifically targets these things - has gone through all the surveys and ones that are flagged she personally reads and if there is enough for one preceptor she meets with them - in this progress 6/7 have been removed and a handful has undergone cultural sensitivity training. Hard to make a difference in one year (ie. systemic issue with the culture of medicine). Something they are trying to fix but if anyone has any concerns or opinions I can forward them to Dr. Holmes. She has reached out to every year including third year (but it was right after exam)

Jessica: I wanted to ask the upper years, has this been talked to you in your prior medical learning.

Maya: There were a couple of lectures on mistreatment and we get emails all the time of the form we can fill out. I am aware of people that have gone through these processes regarding this. 60% could also be a reporting error so pre-clerkship students should not be bogged down by this.

John Liu  
(MUS  
President)

7:33

Maichael: Student leaders knew what Dr. Holmes was doing. A lot of the students were more surprised about what the faculty was doing about it instead of the actual issue.

John: That was one of the reasons I wanted to do a Townhall for the third years. I agree on some participant bias for the survey, but there is a scale for each question. If someone chose rarely, that does count as one point. This does skewer the data a bit.

In first year we went through an avoiding mistreatment/harassment workshop (actor is incredibly racist, homophobic, harasses people in CBL) and were tasked with reacting to that and debriefed it. That is very unique to UBC and all other Western Deans were impressed that happened at UBC - so that is to say UBC has done things to try and tackle the issue of mistreatment but results take a long time to show.

### **AUS Candidate Endorsements**

AMS Election Candidates

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lAds47IXmedYgaAVnCeN-ZDaDZWb9tTPUbdRgM7pxfM/edit?usp=sharing>

AMS Elections Presentation

<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1FLzOBOjqtqUcYwWtjG9nHGEW09gjXNTwq0div4zo7kA/edit?usp=sharing>

Background: The MUS is a constituency of the AMS and right now the AMS elections are under way. In previous years, execs have talked about making endorsements but it has never crystallized. Endorsements of AMS candidates is something that almost all undergraduate, graduate societies do. The party calendar is one the biggest endorsements you can get. With a large constituency of 1500 voters, it is very attractive for candidates. A big part of why we are doing this now is because in the next 5 years we will need allies for different policies through AMS. A lot of the policies need to

Maichael  
Thejoe (Year  
III Class  
President)

Jennifer Ling  
(AMS  
Councillor)

7:41

get passed by the AMS. Making endorsements is a good first step in that direction.

Referendum questions are where societies ask about input from voters. Sexual Assault student center fee was running a deficit previously. A proposed \$9 increase this year. The Indigenous student committee is asking for a new fee of 0.95 to hold events, awards and spaces. The AMS By-Law Amendment is . We want to reduce the graduating class fee by \$4. The class is buying gifts that are less expensive. We negotiated the U-Pass to extend until 2025. The increase is by \$1.50 per month and up to 2% the year after. The campus culture and performance fee renewal of \$2 is also being proposed.

There is also a lot of AMS election candidates. We would like to invite the council to vote to support different candidates. The instructions are in the candidate google doc. Put x next to the support for candidates that we want to endorse. AMS candidates have the option for making their contacts public. We reached out to them to ask them to reach out to us for pledges. Please go through it quickly sometime this week. Jennifer has a lot of insight of who is a good candidate. Certain individuals are highlighted that are supported by the MUS and the AMS rep. If you do not know who to vote, you can vote with the AMS rep. Whenever someone sends us blurbs, we add them into the doc.

Jennifer: For president, I have endorsed Kuol. He is very detail oriented and he whistle blew on himself (shows integrity). For VP Academics, I have endorsed Julia from the engineering society. She is super willing to stand up for students on campus. For VP Admin, I have endorsed Cole. He is super accountable and he has the most experience with the job. For VP External, I have not decided for this because Cristina is one of the more controversial students. She did not include indigenous students during their lobby days. Riley reached out to us about unmatched residency positions and the sexual harassment. For Board of Governors, I endorse Dylan and Jeanny. He has been quite



active as a councillor, he reads all the by laws (John thinks he is a decent guy). There are 5 positions on senate and 9 people running, so it may not be worth to support someone there.

Maichael: It is good to have people there that knows what is going with the faculty of medicine. Jeanny is very aware of the issues in medicine. In terms of Max Holmes, there has been some controversial issues with backdoor meetings. Dylan is not afraid to challenge people if he thinks they are not conducting properly (John agrees). The link to voting is in the agenda, please vote by friday 11:59 PM.

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lAds47IXmedYgaAVnCeN-ZDaDZWb9tTPUbdRgM7pxfM/edit?usp=sharing>

Maya: What does the SASC do with the money?

Jennifer: They have social workers to counsel people after sexual assault. They do workshops on contraception, abortion, healthy masculinity and more. They work 7 days a week 8AM-10PM.

Zach: A big reason they are increasing the SASC funding because the AMS puts it into a big umbrella fund. They are an awesome organization who employ quite a few students. They have monthly workshops. The vast majority of funding is for social workers and counsellors.

Maichael: Do you think their deficit is because of chronic underfunding or poor management?

Zach: 100% chronic underfunding. SASC is an intersectional group that butts heads with the AMS. AMS is more on the institution side whereas SASC is more for social justice. Previously, the university tried to shut down SASC and part of that was to divert money away from them. \$9 is on the lower limit of what we recommended should have increased the fee to. I am very biased because I started the healthy masculinity workshop.

**Budget Discussion**

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BymFa9J9X9isUVp0WmxpTG9QRjI4LUk0RVdXSXdMcG5YMTg4/view?usp=sharing>

To start off, there is a preliminary draft of the budget. The important columns to note is that there is about \$20,000 that has not been spent. There used to be a \$61 difference in spending and budget. For next year, we can account for the more money we have because we do not have to pay for pagers anymore. The groups that I want to speak more is with the IMP, SMP and NMP. I want to check with them if their budget is adequate. Every year, we have the CFMS membership fees go in and out of our account. This year we are short of covering that because there are bank drafts without names on it. We will expect to take a slight deficit of \$500 regarding this. The site specific funding is a bit different due to the pagers and MSAC fee. Sports rep side, we will be spending all of that money. I added more details regarding the money that is going to be improving the gym. The next increase is for the travel component for the CFMS conferences (\$1000 to cover the Western Dean's meeting). It is not reasonable for the president to be paying \$1000 out of pocket. The community health component, global health is in need for more funding because workshops use up all the funding (tentative \$500 increase). Indigenous health being its separate portfolio is requesting \$1200. At the top, the revenue for prior fiscal year.

Maichael: This draft has to be passed at the AGM. Discussion today should be around

Isaac: About the university publisher, we budgeted for revenue but it will not occur.

Dr. Hardwick: I wanted to raise the issue about the fees for the medical student alumni centers that were set in 1980. There has been considerable inflation since then. At some

Zach Sagorin  
(VP Finance  
Sr.)

8:01

point, when there is a program built for the interior, there may be an increase in a fee to accommodate the inflation (\$50 increase). We have not proceeded with it because we have not been able to have a MSAC for the interior. You should be aware that there are costs associated with this.

Zach: Do you have a rough timeline for when this would start?

Dr. Hardwick: Probably 2 years. The Interior will have to fight for a MSAC.

Rosie: I have many discussions to get a MSAC facility for the interior. There is a desire but there is also an acknowledgement that there are multiple spaces here that meet the needs that a MSAC would meet. There was not a lot of support to build another facility. A major hurdle is that we do not have a huge group of alumni here that would be able to support this. I am trying to get a community of residents, students and members to help with this.

Helen: Sports finance upgrades. I met with Kelsey recently and she acknowledged that MSAC would potentially fund gym maintenance costs bi-annually. She recognizes that residents use the gym and that the funding comes from MAA. The \$2600 has already been spent years ago for the gym upgrade. What is the MSAC maintenance fund?

Zach: I copied this draft from the first time it was used and my understanding is that there is a separate fund for MSAC maintenance. Previously, the MSAC was split into a number of different funds that we paid into. Now, we just pay the one MSAC fund. We may be giving MSAC funds for maintenance that could be indirectly used for the gym.

Maichael: What proportion of our income goes to internal function as opposed to external functions? What proportion of clubs that apply for funding actually get funded.

Zach: The only clubs we did not fund are the two new clubs that had redundant aims. We would just fund the one club. There are certain groups who apply for funding as different sites, so we fund it as a whole and not individually. The assessed need that we established for funds was less than what was requested.

Rosie: There are multiple clubs where the club in Kelowna applied for the funding but the Vancouver club gets the funding. The VFMP club denied the funding to the Kelowna club (e.g. WHI).

Maya: We should give clubs a specific percentage of funding they should be giving to the distributed sites.

Maichael: In the context of increasing fees, we would have a hard time selling to the students the rates of fees if it is money used to keep the society running.

Zach: On a whim, 15% of the funding goes to internal functions.

Reem: We allocated more funding to the big Vancouver clubs so they could distribute the funding to the distributed sites. We explicitly told the clubs to allocate the funding. If those specific clubs faced rejection of funding from the Vancouver clubs, I can try to sort that out.

Rosie: The funding issue is fine for this year, they got doctors of bc grants. I just wanted to address it as a systemic issue for the future years.

Reem: For the future, the club societies can sit down together and we can detail the percentage of funding that should be going to the distributed sites.

Maichael: Some of the undergraduate societies use funding entities. We can define groups as a joint entity.

Zach: It should not be hard to email the Vancouver clubs to distribute funding to the sites.

Final budget tabled to next meeting - reach out to Zach for specific questions about your portfolio. At the next meeting come to be prepared to say yes or no to budget and talk to Zach before if have any problems!

Zach: There is a large amount of money that has been accumulating over 20 years. They are establishing endowment funds with this money. Use a portion of they money into the UBC Endowment (be done in collaboration with Faculty) and we give it to them in perpetuity and obtaining 4% average each year for new funding. So if put in 100,000 get 4000 each year which we can do whatever (ie. an addition into budget, leadership fund, etc). Any questions about that or interested please let me know.

### Internal Updates

1. Careers Night
  - a. Great turnout, I would love to hear from you for the people that were present.
  - b. Please email me or talk to me about your feedback
  - c. Some faculty found it too loud and crowded. Potentially slotting the years into separate places. We got representation from every program.
2. MedBall
  - a. March 16th. Awards will be happening at the MedBall.
3. Med Gala
  - a. Looking for volunteers for day of! Email me!
  - b. Review committee met
  - c. Please promote tickets because we will be in debt if we do not sell more.
4. Elections
  - a. Stay tuned in the next couple of days
  - b. MARCH 14: Nominations deadline
  - c. MARCH 23-25: Voting period

Maya  
Rosenkrantz  
(VP Internal)

5 mins  
anticipated

- d. MARCH 27: Announcement
  - e. APRIL 1: AGM
  - f. Encourage people to run
5. Constitution & BL Committee
- a. <https://www.when2meet.com/?7597302-x2hK9> PLEASE FILL OUT THE WHEN2MEET IF YOU WANT TO BE ON IT
  - b. If no one else fills this out meeting is going to be Sunday, March 10th

Rosie: I thought MedGala and MedBall were call protected. I filled in an absence request, but Med Gala was only call protected for performers and not for distributed sites. Should we be involving the faculty to change that?

Maichael: Staff turnover at student affairs happened this year. Some departments did not receive the message or received different messages. My internal medicine rotation is call protecting the whole gala. Other rotations are different. I do not think it will be an issue next year.

**Gender Neutral Washrooms in LSC**

Whereas the Life Sciences Centre doesn't have any individual or gender neutral washrooms that are accessible without keycard privileges and the closest gender neutral washroom is in the Brain Health Centre, which is very inconvenient. Moreover, this lack of washroom access acts as an additional barrier to education for gender diverse medical students and applicants who come to the LSC for their MMI interviews.

Be it resolved that the MUS support the UBC Medicine Social Justice Collective and list our name as a stakeholder in their efforts to create an accessible space

Zach: If we can ask them for a clear plan and bring it up at the AGM so it is not just us talking about it.

Maichael: I agree. I do not know who is in this group and I want to know who we are supporting if we are attaching our society

Isaac Rodin  
(VP  
Communications Sr.)

Mover:  
Second:  
In Favour:

name to it. They should circulate their documentation and their cause to all of the general council. I am in support to table this motion.

Stephen: It is easier to change a single-stall washroom to gender neutral rather than a multi-stall washroom.

Isaac: let's table this motion and recommend them to

Maichael: I move that we table this motion.

Seconded: Maya

In favor: All

### **Motion to Adjourn**

Moved: Dr. Hardwick

Seconded: MayaMaya

In favor: all